Professor for Theory & History of Sound
Anthony Moore is a composer and tenured professor at the Academy of Arts (KHM) Cologne in the department of Art and Media Sciences, where he works on the theory and history of sound. Initially professor for Auditive Design in the Media and founder of the Music Department; he was elected rector of the Academy in Cologne between 2000-2004. He is founder of international sound events and symposia, "per->SON" and "Nocturnes". Besides lecturing he continues to write and compose.
Lectures, Symposia, Works:
2012: “Aromatic Vapours; Reflecting on Systems of Tuning and Measurement in both East and West”, International Study Group of Music Archaeology, Suzhou and Beijing, China. - “Noises of Cologne”, commissioned work for A-Musik CD release. - "And history was wilfully distorted in well-equipped studios", new work installed in Sound Art exhibition, Institut für Musik und Akustik at the Zentrum für Kunst und Medientechnologie Karlsruhe. - "Fragrant Steam" a talk at the Friedrich-Alexander-University Erlangen, in the workshop "Noise Geräusch Bruit". - "Former Times, Present Reflections", hosted workshop on the comparative histories of Greek and Chinese quantification of natural phenomena (Needham), Academy of Media Arts Cologne.
2011: “The Turing Project” 5.1 surround sound version produced and broadcast by the WDR Cologne. - "Histories of Sound", presented at conference, Systematic Musicology, University of Cologne.
- Completed English translation of F. Kittler's “Der Gott der Ohren, published by Tate Modern.
- In conversation with Friedrich Kittler, 'Nearing of the Gods', in Olaf Nicolai, Pinakotheque der Moderne, Munich. - “Reimagining Time in Computing: Reservoirs and Aural Arithmetics”, History and Philosophy of Computing, Centre for Logic and Philosophy of Science, University of Ghent.
2010: Die Verlautbarung des Geistes. “Tuning and Measurement”, a talk, Nietzsche Kolleg Weimar.
- Concert performance, “Arp & Anthony Moore” Wordless festival, New York City. - “Informatics at Multiple Scales” University of Northern Kentucky, 6 weeks advising on concepts of teaching, Time in Sound and Computation.
2009: "Immersion in Sound" 2nd International Symposium of Music Archaeology of East Asia. Suzhou, China. - “Reflections on Sound; Time, Algorithms and Aural Arithmetics” Cincinnati, University of Northern Kentucky - “On the Voice” expanded lecture, Sibanki University, Istanbul. - “Against the Light; Aural Arithmetic: Pythagoras and Incommensurability. At the symposion “Pythagorean views on music”, Samos, Greece. - “Voice and nothing but the voice” expanded lecture with Siegfried Zielinski, University of the Arts Berlin.
2008: “Hello, this is a sentence” composition and premiere, Matthias Muche text and tuba.
- “In conversation with Friedrich Kittler”, Tate Modern London in Media Matters symposium.
- 5th Variantology Workshop On Deep Time Relations of Arts, Sciences and Technologies at the Biblioteca Nazionale, Napoli.
2007: "Memory Machines", LCC Sound Arts & Design, guest lecture. - Von Kempelen "Man in the Machine" symposium, Mucsarnok Budapest lecture. - “History of Arabic-Islamic culture of knowledge and technology”, 4th Variantology Workshop, Berlin University of the Arts.
2006: “Deep Time Relations of the Arts, Sciences, and Technologies in China”, 3rd Variantology Workshop. - ArteScienza, master class, Centro Ricerche Musicali, Roma.
2005: "The Turing talk and playback" with J. Lindenmaier at Goldsmiths College, London.
- "Mercury Acoustic Delays", presented at the Transmediale, Berlin. - "Turing 2" LMS*, exhibition of the Turing relays work developed from WDR at the Haferkamp Gallery, Cologne. - “Transactional Fluctuations”, 2nd Variantology Workshop. - "Mercury Acoustic Delays + Turing 2" at the Crash Symposium, Shoreditch, London. - "Tape as Musical Instrument" LAB3 talk, Cologne. - Maths for Artists, "The Chinese Remainder problem", Julian Rohrhuber, Maarten Bullynck, Elizabeth de Mol.
2004: "Tuning & Measurement in Chinese and Greek Antiquity" presentation in Kittler seminar, Humboldt University, Berlin. - "Rhinemaidens", Composition and performance with Hannes Hoelzl, Cologne. - "A History of Simultaneity", 1st Variantology Symposium, Siegfried Zielinski. - "The Turing Project" LMS, commissioned by WDR. Recordings completed. - "The Azimuth Co-ordinator", a talk given at DASA Essen.
2003: "Membranes In Space & The Transmitting Ear", given at Goldsmiths, London. - "Continuity Illusions" with the group LMS*, Witten Festival, WDR commission. - "Cybersonica" festival London, expanded lecture at the ICA. - "Moving Sounds" performance at Mainz Musikhochschule Klang Festival.
2002: Hosted "per->SON 3" Concerts & Symposium "Tuning & Measurement" Cariani, Diebner, Dombois, Euler, Kittler, Krausse, Otto Roessler. - "Full Play", eight performances in the festival, 'Art Numerique', La Villette, Paris. - "4-Frequency Icosahedron Class 1 Method 1" LMS, My Private Sky, Buckminster Fuller finissage at the Museum for Applied Arts Cologne. - "On The Voice", expanded lecture with S. Zielinski, Cologne University.
2001: "Techno-visions" Steierische Herbst, Austria, Graz, on the Media Tower, symposium with Peter Weibel. - Premiere of "Moving Sounds", Schreyahn Music Festival, open air performance. - Inaugural speech at Research Institute, Kyoto Seika and performance of "Moving Sounds", Japan.
2000: "Trialogue" with Zielinski & Dietmar Kamper in the Einstein Forum, Potsdam. - "Moving Sounds", commissioned by WDR Studio Akustiche Kunst and Ars Acoustica presentation at the Dolby Studios, San Francisco. - "Reading Room" installation with Jasper Morrison, Louisiana Museum of Modern Art Copenhagen. - "Piranesi" installation at The Kunsthalle Bonn with Hans Ulrich Reck.
- "The Aesthetics of Computer Music" panel with Friedrich Kittler at the ICMC 2000 Berlin. - "On The Voice", London School of Sound, expanded lecture with Siegfried Zielinski.
1999: "Kepler to Bacon" expanded lecture in Weimar with Friedrich Kittler. - "Perspectives" Budapest trialogue 'A Consideration of Intervals' with Dietmar Kamper & Siegfried Zielinski. - Hosted "per->SON 2" John Berger /Viljakainen /Tibbels /Lentz /Namtchylak & Kowald /Cardew, international concert series on "The Voice" - "Acoustic Cells & Membranes", Tuebingen with Otto Roessler. - "Flusser in Bochum" spatialised sound piece and talk at Bochum University. - "Full Play" Amsterdam performance of composition for dancer and interactive sound & video.
1998: Hosted "per->SON 1" Oliveros/Uitti/Vitiello/Bosshard, 4 day international concert series.
- "Umzug ins offene", expanded lecture with Zielinski, Hamburg. - "ANY" conference in Ankara, Turkey, with Live Mix to Angela Melitopoulos film in Ankara and Istanbul. - "A Plain Crossed by 2 Roads", installation with Jasper Morrison, London.
1997: "Exploratory Digs at the Site of the KHM" with Siegfried Zielinski at WDR Music Triennale Cologne. - "Ganz Ohr" Kassel, expanded lecture with Peter Kiefer. - "Creativity & Cooking" with Siegfried Zielinski, Focal symposium, Switzerland.
Anthony Moore "Transactional Fluctuations 1, 2, 3 - (reflections on sound)" in: Siegfried Zielinski & Eckhard Fürlus "Variantology 3, 4 & 5; On Deep Time Relations of Arts, Sciences and Technologies",
Verlag der Buchhandlung Walther König, Köln 2007 - 2011.
Anthony Moore "Aromatic Vapours - Tuning and Measurement in Greek and Chinese Antiquity" in: Friedrich Kittler & Ana Ofak "Media before Media, Übertragung, Störung, Speicherung bis 1700", Wilhelm Fink Verlag München 2006.
Anthony Moore "Mercury Acoustic Delays and Natural Computing" in XXXXX published by xxxxx in association with OpenMute 2006. pg 192.
Anthony Moore "The Musical Yardstick", in: Siegfried Zielinski & Silvia M. Wagnermaier "Variantology 1; On Deep Time Relations of Arts, Sciences and Technologies", Walther Koenig Verlag Cologne 2005: P. 185-195.
Anthony Moore: "Electricity that shines into the light", in: Peter Berz, Annette Bitsch und Bernhard Siegert, "FAKtisch" (festschrift für Friedrich Kittler), Wilhelm Fink Verlag München 2003: P. 193-199.
Anthony Moore/Siegfried Zielinski: "Vox per->sonare", a lecture duetto in eight parts, published in: Cornelia Epping-Jäger/Erika Linz (Editor), "Medien/Stimmen" DuMont Verlag Cologne 2003: P. 282-298.
Anthony Moore: "Hommage to Pink Floyd", in: Friedrich Kittler, Thomas Macho and Sigrid Weigel, "Between Noise and Enlightment", Akademie Verlag Berlin 2002: P. 371-376.
* LMS are Joerg Lindenmaier, Anthony Moore & Peter Simon